Thursday, February 10, 2011

Tofu as dessert? WHAT?

So you know how I wrote about tofu when I started this blog? Well..get your tofu hats on again, because we're getting serious about tofu once again.


I was interested in what type of desserts I could create with tofu, so I looked up some recipes. I have to make some of these soon, but I'd figure I'd post what I'm most interested in here.


Now should I tell you about tofu desserts, or should I tell you about desserts that use tofu? Well, I guess I'll go with the latter to begin.

Tofu chocolate chip cookies sound good to you, right? Here's what you're going to need:


  • 2 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal




  • 1 teaspoon baking soda




  • 1 teaspoon baking powder




  • 2 cups flour




  • 8 oz. soft tofu




  • 1/2 cup butter




  • 1 cup sugar




  • 1 cup brown sugar




  • 1/2 cup canola oil




  • 1 teaspoon vanilla




  • 8 oz. chocolate chips



  • You're going to use a blender and a mixer for this, so you'll need those too.

    First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Put oats in a blender and blend until it begins to look like flour. In a bowl, stir together the oats, flour, baking powder and baking soda. Now put that to the side. Next, place tofu in your blender and blend until smooth. In another bowl, beat butter with a mixer for around 30 seconds. Pour in the tofu and beat it until everything's mixed together. Add both sugars, mix, then beat in your oil and vanilla. Make sure it's mixed together well.


    Now, beat in the flour/out/baking powder/baking soda. Mix slowly, and make sure you mix it well until it's all mixed. Add those chocolate chips (my favorite part!) and dig out spoonfuls with, what else, a spoon, and drop the spoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet. Baking time may increase or decrease depending on your oven. My oven is a dinosaur and cooks things quickly, but your oven may be different. the general time is 10 minutes, but it may be more or less depending on your oven. As usual with cookies, they're done baking when they're golden. Tammy Cone, who came up with this recipe, said that her kids didn't know the difference between these cookies and real chocolate chip cookies. Brilliant!
    According to Cone, "I had never tried tofu but it really has no taste so these cookies turned out to taste pretty good," she wrote. "I even got my kids to eat them and they didn't know the difference." Cone argues that although the cookies are healthier, her children didn't notice any difference between these cookies and their favorite and less healthy cookies.


    Are you game for some tofu chocolate ice cream?


    All of that aside, what I'm really interested in making is this tofu chocolate cake recipe. I think I'll try making it this weekend and post pictures of the final product!


    Here's what you'll need:
    1 box super moist chocolate cake mix
    1 300g block of soft tofu

    1/4 cup water 

    You won't need any of the ingredients listed on the cake mix box, since the tofu replaces all of these things in the recipe. This recipe has me curious..how does adding tofu change a recipe? I know tofu is pretty good nutritionally, but in a cake? 

    Let's see:
    "With a food processor or blender (I use my hand/stick blender), mix cake mix and tofu together. Once mixed, add 1/4 cup water and blend again until smooth. Pour into baking dish and cook according to the directions on the cake mix box, depending what type of dish you use."





    Interesting. Anyway, with that aside, here are other tofu recipes I found for you eager readers:
    Tofu pudding

    No comments:

    Post a Comment